Posts by TikTac'tical

I understand Ghipa . My response wasn't meant as a response to criticism. :)

doomed to failure.

I mean... I understand that there has most definitely been problems with certain people on the server ruining the experience for everybody else, but.... I think we all have to remember how much of a success it really has been if you think about it. What other open server have you ever seen create something like the Settlement? I mean it has required serious focus and work from the Settlers to be able to pull off.

In terms of rules; The Village is really not all that much different from your average DayZ server. There's not a lot of rules that limit a player to do anything. We've put in some unconventional ones (such as no 3rd party voice comms etc), but other than it's generally the same. All-in-all I would say it has been a massive success with some big obstacles along the way. We need to work together to make those obstacles easier to overcome in the future (reporting glitchers, griefers and so forth). I think "doomed to failure" is a strong word choice considering how well we are doing. We've made this server what it is today together, let's not ruin that because of some glitchers/griefers. :)

- TikTac'

Welcome to the community my friend!

Of course we can handle the German accent. There's players from all over the world in our community. We welcome each and every single one of you!

See you in Chernarus and stay safe! o7

I get your point Karrigan but the examples you're mentioning (although a little sarcastic) is the exact reason we ask for so much information. There's a big gray area when it comes to these types of reports and we do not want to ban innocent people. What if the person who was inside the camp didn't do anything wrong at all? Is that fair just to permanently ban him for something he did not do? No, it's not. And that's why we ask for so much information. If we had better logs and overall admin tools this wouldn't be a problem, but this is DayZ and we're very limited when it comes to this kind of stuff. I get your frustration, and no matter how much we discuss this you will never understand it fully until you, or one of your friends, are wrongfully banned for glitching/griefing.

We're always up for suggestions to a possible fix for these kind of situations. I have one myself but I will take that one up internally rather than on here. If you have any better way of getting rid of glitcher/griefers without banning innocent community members, please let us know. Telling us how hard it is to get the required information is no news to us and I am a DayZ player myself with around 3000 hours in-game. I know how hard it is to get the information we ask for. (I even specify this in the post).

Upon request from WhiskeyPunisher I have decided to create a little thread explaining what we expect in terms of evidence when you want to report a suspected griefer/glitcher.

First of all, let's understand what a griefer/glitcher is: "A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and angers other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways"

When it comes to the DayZ Village Server that would in most cases be the fact that some players abuse the persistent lifetime of items in the environment to make them de-spawn quicker. They do this by dropping items out from tents so they de-spawn after ~30 minutes (dependent on the item dropped) rather than being 'saved' by the storage container's persistence. In other cases it's people using unintended ways to gain access to a compound/base by glitching through solid objects.

With this said, please be aware that it is allowed to drop items out a persistent container in order to take it (eg. drop items out a barrel so you can take it for yourself). We ask not to overdo it though. If we see video footage of several tents where items are just dropped on the ground and the tents themselves are just laying on the ground packed, then that would be considered griefing. All-in-all just be considerate to other players. If you have the choice between emptying out a tent with 2 sticks in, or the tent with 20 guns, choose the god damn tent with 2 sticks.

Now, let's have a look at what we expect/need in order to be able to act on a suspected griefer/glitcher on the server.

Reporting a player for griefing/glitching is no easy task as we, after some unfortunate situations, have decided to up the required information before we act. This is because innocent people have been banned in the past because of personal grudges between community members. All of these bans and unbans puts even more pressure on the server admin and is very frustrating for the innocent community member.

The very minimum a glitching/griefing report needs is the following:

- Your in-game name
    - Time of the occurrence in GMT/GMT + 1 (as exact as possible)

- Video proof showing the violation (with audio + time-stamps)

- ID from the glitcher/griefer (either check pulse, give/receive damage)

Please note that we require the video to show the actual violation. A video of you walking through your de-spawned base after it has happened won't get anyone banned unfortunately. However, if the video shows the actual player glitching through the tent itself and then either give/take damage to/from the player, then you have solid proof of the event and that player clearly, without a doubt glitched through the tent and therefore exploiting the game.

And last but not least, please remember that these glitching/griefing reports can be very hard to justify without proper proof. This is why we ask for so much information from community members in regards to this. Always try to make it as clear as day who the bad guy is. That way it will be easier for us to act accordingly, and get rid of the actual people who did the wrong-doing.

Please let me know if there's something that is unclear and I will try to add/rephrase it, thanks. :)