.63 Experimental and the Village

• Hello everyone,

I'm sure everyone already has heard that the Devs will be allowing .63 experimental to be played community servers. I'm not sure what Spaggie and Rene's plans are for this, but I wanted to start a discussion about the Pro's and Con's of having The Village on .63 experimental. Here's just some of my quick thoughts

Pro's:

1) A good number of The Village's community is waiting for .63 experimental/ beta to drop. Why not let them experience .63 on their favorite server?

2) Server population will be back to 30 man queues (I bitch about queues, but love having full servers 24/7)

3) A lot of returning DayZ players might want a server with more interaction than Colony #1 or Chipotle Bandits

4) I can finally play .63 on the village

Con's:

1) .63 Experimental will have updates and restarts pushed out frequently making it hard to maintain a village

2) Influx of new people to the server that may or may not follow rules

What does everyone on here think about maybe having .63 experimental on The Village?

• Con's:

1) .63 Experimental will have updates and restarts pushed out frequently making it hard to maintain a village

Isn't it hard to maintain a village anyway? LUL

You know the problem with drawing lines in the sand? With a breath of air, they disappear.

Revenge isn't a passion, it's a disease. It eats at your mind and poisons your soul.

In this world there are no sides, only players.

• Naah but seriously, get it to exp. The server is dead as it is with the few stress tests, when experimental is released it'll be even worse. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You know the problem with drawing lines in the sand? With a breath of air, they disappear.

Revenge isn't a passion, it's a disease. It eats at your mind and poisons your soul.

In this world there are no sides, only players.

• Con's:

2) Influx of new people to the server that may or may not follow rules

The 2 cons, the 1st one makes sense.
    The second one however, Wether we stay on .62 or go to .63, there will be new people, and there will always be dbags that don't follow the rules. However, most of the community will probably start playing .63 as it hits experimental, so staying on .62 will most likely kill the playerbase on the server

Killing is only one small aspect of survival. And hardly necessary. A person's desire to kill, is not out of thrive to survive. But rather a false sense of pride, a sick form of amusement, a disgusting form of empowerment. They who feel the need to kill and call it "survival" are just refusing to accept their barbaric ways. Self defence is another matter entirely, but how often is that self defence not against those who feel an unnatural need to harm?

• Im probably one of those "pasive players" waiting to play on the Village 0.63 EXP so here is my opinion:

• Since the Village exists (with some rare exceptions) it has never lasted more than a week without having to be rebuilt partially or completely, so that can perfectly adjust to the times of the eventual exp updates (considering that any of them could bring a wipe). Building and maintaining the Village is part of the essence of the server so I dont think an eventual wipe will affect the incentives to rebuild the place every week (Basically what people/guards have been doing since the server started but for "bandit wipes").
    • I also think there is no other viable alternative for any Dayz community server than move to 0.63. I prefer an "unstable Village" in a server full of people willing to reconstruct than a "stable Village" (that in some way its an oxymoron) in a low pop server (or probably a dead one if its remain in 0.62).
    • To a large extent, the "village experience" in the early 0.63 exp will depend on the assets that that build bring with it. If, for example, there are no tents, barrels or any objects to ensure a minimum persistence, clearly it will be very difficult to identify a place like "The Village" or even for a faction, creates a certain "territorial presence". But we have already seen how the server has survived with a lot of population even in its most "nomade" stages.
    • About the new people and rules, thats something that we all have to learn to live with regardless of the build, server, rules or possible wipe. It will always happen unless you make a server with whitelist, stricts bans and some forced RP rules, and thats crearly not the intention as far as i know (and fortunately).

Just my two cents.

• The Village is kinda empty as it is now, since many people are playing on stress tests or simply wander around alone offline. When 0.63 hits experimental, it'll be worse I fear.

Personally, I'd be fine if the server would run exp, as we could experience 0.63 on The Village server, with like-minded players. Even if there are regular wipes, so be it I guess.

Also, whoever has played 0.63, I hear it's hard to go back to clunky 0.62, as the devs predicted already.

On the other hand, 0.63 will not have everything yet. Tents, don't think I've seen them in an official stress tests, only offline using the editor or something.

But perhaps that's what it is then. We'd have to find a location that has plenty of walls. The Village would be about having a place to go to and hang out, share supplies, etc.

TL;DR, I'm fine with moving to exp :p

• As a Village Guard and a long time survivor of DayZ, I'm excited to see .63 hit experimental but understanding how difficult it is to maintain The Village even on a stable branch with persistence and no patches, this could be a daunting task. Rest assured that the Guard Captains and Rene will be devising our next move as it relates to .63 experimental and potential impact to the community.

If I was a betting man, I'd drop a $100 on The Village surviving in some form on .63 experimental.

• I'm all for it, but shouldn't they wait until its more stable? From what I understand, there are still lots of people who cant get past loading screen, and crashing when accessing inventory.

I'd say wait for 1/2 updates until they got some stability sorted.

Killing is only one small aspect of survival. And hardly necessary. A person's desire to kill, is not out of thrive to survive. But rather a false sense of pride, a sick form of amusement, a disgusting form of empowerment. They who feel the need to kill and call it "survival" are just refusing to accept their barbaric ways. Self defence is another matter entirely, but how often is that self defence not against those who feel an unnatural need to harm?

• Con's:

That's a pro in my book. I mean, maybe I'm way off base here, but the whole idea of the village is people working together towards that goal, I never thought of it as an end game. So for EXP to be wiping it now and then, that's good, keeps people moving about the map, scouting locations, gathering gear,restocking.

The exp version currently released is almost exactly the same as the stress test as far as I can tell Slim

It literally is, you can switch back and forth with absolutely no change or download. May change as they patch it but it appears to be the same branch of code currently.