Posts by shit_pete

If the content is good I don't really mid the vid quality that much.

I dont really notice an issue apart from like fast moving patches of video with grass where the pixalation gets abit funky. But i noticed that in Running mans videos.

Wonder if Mike means the weird square look at night time, cos i upped the gamma in the video editing software to make it remotely view able. But it renders a bit weird in some lights. haha

Dude you videos are really good and entertaining, i just wish you could record in even better quality because video quality is not up to the content quality. Keep'em comin' man it is really good stuff !

I wish i knew how, I'm bungling through the whole process.

I watch tutorials on recording quality and render quality apparently its all optimized and decent settings, but i cant seem to get the same quality as everyone else. Particularly after its uploaded to YouTube, dunno what to do.

Although part of it is just due to the fact i kind of want to be able to upload quick and the vids end up being like 1gb which is ideal.

Also my software is outdated, I'm using an old version of Adobe Premiere and DXtory for recording.

Dunno.... if anyone is good with videos and tech please hit me up, would love some help with settings and such.

Otherwise hope the quality doesn't wreck the entertainment too much?

ENJOY!!!

People. How can you have a village without people?

This is exactly what i stated in my "Problem with factions thread" you've got a bunch of people who all wanna play the game their way, and their way is the usually standard bandit bull crap. Ive come across 6 other bases in my travels now, and have a stash of my own because i dont feel like loot is of any use stored in the village. We need a new plan to make this work.

I was thinking maybe the village doesn't have a location at all, or at least a public one. Sounds a bit dumb but let me explain... the village worked best and was most functional when the location was a secret, or we were in transition between two places, because the bandits were as confused and subject to secrecy as everyone was. And because during this phase we had a bunch of like minded people who haven't come in all gun crazy, were willing to speak and a general air of calm neutrality was had, because people engaged with the struggle of finding/traveling or being inducted to the Village.

I think the village should be the motto of "get on the radio, meet up with some survivors, and start your own camp". You will get the fun experience of DayZ, you get to base build, induct members, help survivors and loot. And as long as you dont broadcast your location on the radio you will be safe, as long as people agree not to stream, or make videos until the village moves again.

I bet if we did the Village like this, it would force more Radio chatter and more intense social situations. Where someone has to prove their worth to your camp before you show them it, and the drama of sending out meeting parties in public locations to scope out and meet new survivors who you heard ont he radio. And i bet in the end we would have a village of about 10-16 people who are relatively chill because they were a type of player willing to engaged with the game in more than a shooty gun gun way.

Just an idea.... but imagine the fun of hearing that "if you light a fire in Novo town square, the villagers will send out meeting parties and will show you the village location". Would make for some really unique moments!! (of course, you are vulnerable and perhaps bandits could follow you back, or assume the nearby location) but that just adds to further drama.

People meeting new potential villagers should go with relatively no items so they have no fear of death, and cant be tortured into revealing the location.

I have a bunch of names if i heard on the radio i trust and would be willing to start a new temp outpost.

This isn't me saying DON'T GO TO THE VILLAGE by the way, i'm just presenting my observations. The less information that is public about the Village, the less bandits we get, simple as that. And then we can actually start doing loot runs and playing the game like we all envisioned, rather than fighting a losing PvP battle where every kid who joins the server knows where he can go to get some kills, and if they die they log out and a new kid takes their place. Imagine if they joined and had no idea of the Villages location at all, or atleast the main player base is located, DayZ is a big lonely map for a bandit to run around on aimlessly. Sounds good to me!

Engage! LETS TRY IT!!...Maybe?

Firstly what apartment would be best considering we got the big ones with ladders to get to the top floors or one of the smallish ones. Personally I would like a larger one as it gives more protection and means people can only carry one weapon to get up floors. It also means that raiders cannot take a lot of weapons with them, they could only take one on their back and maybe smaller, more useless, ones in a backpack or something.

Secondly, the one way entrance allows for people to camp the front door, the same issue we have at the current village.

The super tall ones can be a death trap, and all of their locations are with other large blocks nearby, meaning quadruple surrounding and camping. Although thinking about it, having the ground floors for civies and the uppers for guards with the tents would be pretty awesome. The ones i suggested above are in Novo, they have a hospital nearby for Dr.Red and others. A whole town of Novo to overlook and loot. A police station to farm. And the position itself is elevated to the same height as the Novo tower, which would be amazing to position a sniper in looking towards the village with a radio. Another easily defensible position.

And its proximity to spawns is far enough away that it would take a good run from Svetlo or the fishing village, say like 30 -40 minutes. About what we have already.

other pros - tents spawn there, civilian (and car tents?) meaning we can farm the loot for more (not loot cycling). They dont have ladders apart from to the roof, someone lying down on the roof cannot be sniped due to its high altitude. There is one tower block that is higher than all the others, meaning you can position the village there, or some guards. In between the blocks are protected from 80% of directional fire for civies and farming. The trees surrounding are narrow, and dont have ground foliage like pines for people to hide in or behind. Wells in Novo. Industrial in Novo. Roads leading up to it for cars. Elevated position means 60% of the approach requires slow walking up a hill. 1 Barrel in the main loot stash doorway would be enough to stop anyone rushing in, meaning one guard with an auto could defend easily. Away from most military areas, meaning it not as easy to stock up and come for an attack. Re-invigorates the north of the map!!?

cons - we will be back to guards hiding in buildings and overlooking, while random civilians die. And random hit and run attacks.

But i think if we have the Solo small tower block for the guards, and then the other two it faces for civies to hang out it. It would be enough open space, and open windows with surrounded protection it wouldn't be a camp fest.

There's my rant anyway, please go and check it out. There's some potential in Novo and its a totally unique area i haven't seen anyone colonize before. The town hall is also awesome, and has an awesome court yard we could try and turn into a market?

I still feel that something simple like an apartment block would be ideal. Safety inside, 1 entryway to guard. Multiple windows for defense/counter sniping. Usually other tower blocks nearby to position our own snipers in. Feels homely. Small tents can be set up in the rooms, large ones on the roof, barrels wherever.

We dont have to worry about maintaining a perimeter, just making it costly for people to try and raid it and take our loot.

Also, placing as much as you can on the roof means it is less easily stripped by bandits, because its clumbsey and awkward to get them down and unpack them on a roof.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Failing that suggestion, some other visuals/suggestions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The flaws/limitations of a truly free sandbox game. Can slight tweaks to mechanics make DayZ a more pleasant and diverse play experience? (I know everyone's consensus is no, but im not so sure). Bring back punishment and praise for certain play styles.

Communication and its importance in DayZ, the Villages problems with it, and what DayZ can do to improve. Having the ability to whisper, and encrypted radio frequencies would make Discord and Teamspeak less necessary, and make talking in game less crippling combat wise.

The new melee system. To me it looks less skill based than the current one (which i am bais towards, because im better at than most people) and more on flinging and hoping your arc gets a head shot.

The new gunplay, read through the dev report and say how it effects the combat feel.

Should DayZ adopt more fast paced gameplay, like PUBG, does the military sim foundation even suit DayZ anymore?

Being wounded doesnt equate to a fun gameplay experience? Limping may make after combat recovery too timely and annoying that you might as well kill yourself. (i think limping to safety would be amazing aswell, but... i cant see a situation where you arnt easy pickings).

Modding will divide and ruin the DayZ experience, no one will play vanilla DayZ when they can load into a server with 2 guns and a death match scenario... perhaps.

DECENT TOPIC IDEA - Ideal Mod settings for your own server (i know Rene you said loot should be much less. i agree. Would be interesting to hear yours and FT's differing ideas on it).]

Only one good one, but perhaps my train of thought can help you think of other similar but more suited questions.

cheers!

Has anyone thought about the village just being on the highest point in the game? I'm not sure where that is, but someone should look it up.

My argument being - sniping through tents will always be a thing, so why not level the playing field? If we build a wall of military tents, on the steepest point in the game, then there is no way that snipers can shoot us, there isn't an angle. And if you try to come up the hill to shoot in person, you are now at the same advantage because tents now render. As long as you keep civilians in the center and all the tents windows closed, then guards just have to patrol the outside, and they also have the high ground advantage (Anakin).

Added bonus of feeling like you are camping in the woods. haha

Just my pondering.

P.s. ORLOVETS IS A DEATH ZONE!! No thanks.

My suggestion! \/ \/ \/ (Its technically crap/ But i haven't seen anyone suggest it yet.)

Maybe not two villages, but how about an outpost? Less militarized, maybe just crops, tools and medical supplies? Could even just me a supermarket in a town that people loot, near the main base.

Interesting question, do you think if we has a base WWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYY far NW, it would put off Bandits? Or would make the punishment for their lazy kills on us too severe? Id'e like to see the difference, if there is a base that is easily defensible miles away, bandits might think twice before wasting their time on the long run, and potential death. I think it would probably actually just make us too vulnerable to being wiped, but would have to see. haha

That is a stock photo right, im sure ive seen it before? Hope the village hasn't changed places again already!? hah

Only thing i didn't like is people dropping useless items, like ruined sewing kits in barrels to grab a mag or ammo. Soo annoying.

Also guys, i know when you are running around solo, the more ammo the better. But when you are in the village, you need maybe one mag and a few rounds to fill up that mag. Don't be greedy and grab everything for your gun. You're a single shot away from all that ammo being ruined, and of no use to the people who are still alive.

Tools with a use are of need to the village guys, growing crops, repairing guns, making radios, making light, cooking. And obviously ammo, guns and mags. We dont need any clothing that isnt 6 slot, only vests/holsters or potential camo gear for missions or guards, or clothes of unique identifiers. Everything else is junk, and its your job to get rid of it.

Also for those that think its a big hassle, if there is a backpack in the camp, pick it up in your hands and you can now carry double the gear. With both of your inventory spaces, you can clear out 70% of the village of garbage in a single run. Thanks for trying!

Thanks for the decent conversation guys. I thought this thread would have been flamed with..."YOU DONT GET DAYZ!!" or "YOURE TRYING TO CONTROL AND MAKE IT LESS FUN!!"

Obviously we all want to be optimistic about the way people will engage with the concept, and harsh with the punishment of people who dont. But the best result is probably somewhere in the middle. And you only got to through conversation. Cheers!

shit_pete that's basically what I do..

Glad to hear it DanZ, obviously you cant be everywhere at all times. So we appreciate your efforts! x

It sounds dumb but it can go a long way to having a sign up process on the forums that clear your steam ID for the server. And a small rules list.

--------------------

1. NO META GAMING. Stream sniping and such.

2. NO NAME CHANGING, Your character name is assigned to your Steam ID for MOD and ADMIN ease.

3. INGAME CHAT IS A REQUIREMENT, suspected players will be banned for even the suspicion of outside Communication.

---------------------

Then have the player agree to those rules, and confirm their membership. Now we all know that it is almost impossible to enforce those rules. But it would go a long way to stipulate to the players on the server the kind of game play we are going for, because i would imagine alot of players are joining (i have seen and talked to lots) who dont even know that those things are frowned upon, lot alone bannable. Ive heard several people talking on discord and team speak, but i let it go because i wasn't sure how rigid the rules were.

DayRP for all of its differences, the rules section is quite good. It has a piece of information, like a code hidden in the rules that you have to copy, to prove you've read the rules. Once again i get this doesn't really effect the in game experience, it will still happen. But this type of moment, can be enough to change a players headspace, from the regular "LOG INTO A DAYZ SERVER A KOS WITH MY FRIENDS!!". And alot of these players have never even experienced using Walkie Talkies, and maybe a forced play experience can show them something new about DayZ, and a new fun way to play.

Do you think maybe Mods could do random checks? Run up to enemy groups and shout "Mic Check. DanZ here" and if they dont comply, and you are killed. They clearly dont know the rules and are on teamspeak, and should get banned. Once again that isn't practical, and it would require the Mod to possibly die. But im just trying to think if rules with DayZ's lame player controls, haha. Think of Mod's as being the Ref's in the game of paintball or airsoft.

First of all let me explain, i get DayZ! I get that its about the random encounters and threats that happen when people interact. Some of them are good, some of them bad, some joyful, some infuriating. Its because of this stuff and even the horrible griefing Bandits, we all keep coming back.

But...

What is the point of all these new factions? They arnt specifically my problem by the way, we all want a safe well moderated server where we can make our DayZ dreams come true, whether that's trading with other towns and forming alliances, that is up to the player base to decide. But my main point is, why are they on this server?

What we have is a server that was founded on the idea of "What happens when the majority of a server tries to create a functioning village." Forcing interactions, debates, drama and teamwork under threats. And we have a bunch of people, probably a good 25-40 regulars to the server who have no intention of doing any of those things.

So why has the mission objective changed already? We've got 3-6 factions on this server now. All of whom are DayZ hard-cores recruiting people to their Teamspeaks and discords as we speak. That is the complete opposite of what is supposed to be happening right? Especially annoying when these skilled knowledgeable players should be a valuable commodity and voice within the Village itself!

We have people who have tried to engage with the village, but because of the lack of communication, organization and constant deaths. They have left to do it their way. "Good for them" if they want to do that, then that is their free choice you will say. My point is, if they want to sit on team speak and store supplies in trees on the edge of the map, and raid other bases while people are offline at 3am in the morning, shouldn't they be encouraged to be on another server?

Isn't the point of the Village supposed to be "Lets see what kind of communication, manpower and teamwork it takes to make this work!".

I know its impossible to make people play the way YOU WANT TO. But its a little bothersome to me that the village is already becoming the less organized area, that bandits just come to get a few kills before they log off for the night. And other factions see it as a hopeless en-devour, that they are willing to run away from at the first sign of difficulty and go and play the same DayZ they always play on Discord with their friends. And that posses a hard question - "Should they be taking up server slots from people who actually want to engage with the Village itself?" I dont have an answer. Maybe not?

Now i'm not criticizing anything in particular here, as i said above. The game is what it is, and the more you try to build, the more people will try to smash it down, that is the nature of the game itself. And no i'm not saying factions shouldn't be allowed, or that banditry shouldn't be permitted. Or we should start banning anyone at will. I'm just trying to start a discussion here.

You can argue what the problem is with the server itself. To which you might say, "Nothing, is wrong. This is pure DayZ". And maybe i would agree.

But after a week of conversations, teamwork, gunfights and deaths. To me the problem is obvious. The good players engage in In-Game Communication. The Bad players dont.

Im sure any of you know that DayZ as far as communication goes, even on a third party program it can be pretty hairy and confusing. Im sure plenty of you have had multiple friendly fire situations because your lack of communication. On the Village server we are trying to fight a losing battle against people who have a sizable communication advantage to us. And yes i get that is the price we pay, for being a rag tag group trying to play in game. But every night is a slaughter and a cluster fuck because of this. Im still having a lot of fun mind you, but the cause is obvious.

As far as solutions go, i dont know the limitations or abilities that the server admins have to encourage this type of play. Or even if its possible, Whitelisting can often be the death of a community/server population. And a strict rules and policy combined with an application system is a lot of work, and makes server admittance a high requirement that people cant be bothered doing.

Does anyone have any ideas for a way to enforce in game communication? The only way to tell a players name is take damage/die to them right? So is there anyway that could be used by a few trusted admins/players to designate voice chat abusers? Hopefully a discussion can be had, because its been my dream to have situations where you can tune into a Bandit radio frequency and listen to their plan, or walk up behind a group and hear them whispering about who they're going to kill. Its something i had in the mod which hasn't happened since, because most PvP heavy players refuse to engage in game chat because they know of the tremendous disadvantage.

Maybe actually clear a bunch of civilians on the forums for citizenship in the village. Guards and legit villagers get to have guns, every other player entering has their weapons confiscated until their citizenship comes through, if it ever does. Maybe if they dont have skills, or are unwilling to provide supplies or services as farmers, their citizenship never comes through. (I know Rene and the others think that it shouldn't be militarized. And should be a friendly place. I dont think taking guns away from unknowns and strangers is unfriendly. its just practical i would happily do it to be accepted on my first time, infact i have a video of me doing that on Day1. Every good person we lose is a huge threat, and shouldn't been seen as throw away event.)

Perhaps there could be a way that players specifically register their steam key with a faction on the forum, if you commit a murder in that faction and the leader and server admin can confirm this you are kicked and removed from the approved players list, or banned for a few days. This way, players cannot commit murders in faction bases with boring team kills, but out elsewhere on the map, anything can happen between factions?

Sorry for the huge rant, i just want to give the village concept a fair chance. Before everyone runs off to their own factions and own Discords and this server becomes just a PvP nest.

Thanks to everyone who engages with the game in a meaningful and interesting way (props to the Alternative Society for actually using radios). And this in no way a criticism of the admins or mods and their current efforts, i know its been hard with the DDOS and the big influx of players, and we all thank you for your time and effort! Much love!

I've had some real fun here, and i hope to have more!!

See you in the fields Villagers!!

So is he allowed to change his in game name or what? Because otherwise putting a bounty on him will kind of encourage him to just shoot everyone right? Because rather than him being an unknown, you make him into a constant target who cant stand close enough to anyone to get identified?

Or if he CAN change his name, then whats the point? Because we are back to trolling with separate names, like on every other server?

This is the original base in the classic Frankie videos. It's great, and I love hanging out there. The pond should be good for fishing, though I've never fished there. If people are healthy, pond water isn't a big deal anyway.

1. I think alot of people, me included dont really want to do stuff that has been done before.

2. That place is waaaaay to easy to get to. You can literally run up the hill from the coast as a fresh spawn and you are there.

3. Although the wall is good for defense, there are relatively few places to defend that you arnt an easy target. That place is amazing in 3PP servers for defending. Lots of elevated crouch high walls, all of that goes out of the window when i sniper outside has 155 trees to pop out from, and you have a relatively small elevated position. Simply put, you are like Ducks in a row.

4. Although the area is easy to defend as a sniper from the base, there is a lot of open space towards the village. Meaning that threats dont need to camp the village itself, just avenues of approach and its a death trap for people leaving and entering.

I dont think anyone has suggested Novo? There are lots of compounds in that town. My personal favorite being the elevated hospital area above the police station. And guards could be placed in surrounding buildings in the town with radios. But because you are at the highest point, you are only at threat from the opposite cliffs or the City Hall tower. Which you can camp yourself with officials.

Ive just thought of a really good one! The Komarovo coast warehouse compound! 50% of your surround is coast, and the other 30% is open terrain (20% buildings). A town for looting with a Well, very little chance of a spawn anywhere nearby.

Another thought , perhaps talking in more simple terms here that maybe wont give the same charming vibe as a castle or a summer camp. How about we just get a warehouse somewhere? I know its not as cozy, but right now all Zub is, is a single building for our gear. And a bit of a cluster fuck around it. So lets choose a better building and police the one entryway better?