About Radios [Suggestion]

• Hello there ladies and gents!

Bb5N0m4.png

I thought it was right to make this post with the following two suggestions related to the use of radios because, in the last time,

I have noticed that their use within the server has declined a lot and personally I am a big fan its use.

kS1Rjx6.png

Why radios are a cool feature to explore in Dayz Village? Probably because the immersive complement that provides within an interactive server like this and because it is the best way to contact other survivors in-game, know the location of the Village, the Trading Post and other places of interaction (as well as to get in touch with factions that operate in the different frequencies and territories around the map).

So, why people do not uses radios that often? There are two main causes.

1) Low probability phenomenon: The variety of people, nationalities and schedules means that a “meeting” on the radio (even if both parties have the will to use them) is an extraordinarily rare event and a huge coincidence. Nobody is going to be trying to contact someone for an hour through the different frequencies. The players simply turn on their radios, try a shy "hello" on the default frequency, and if they do not have an answer in less than 10 seconds they will probably don´t try again in the short term. Eventually they give up and do not even loot radios and batteries any more.

> Suggestion: My idea is to establish an implicit time pattern to multiply the chances of a radio contact. What would this pattern be? Simply agree that radio contact attempts will be much more frequent in the minutes after each hour change. For example: if you turn on the radio at 17:58, you will know that during the 5 minutes before the time change and the subsequent minutes, the survivors will try to make contact with each other over the radio. So, if you have a radio + battery, you can continue trying as usual (anytime you want) or you can check the time and save the battery to turn it on and in that specific minutes before and after every new hour. Simple as that.

kS1Rjx6.png

1OfaD90.png%E2%80%8B

2) Batteries life: related to the above, if one could keep the radio on for a long time while you walk around the map or do something else, the contacts on the radio would be much more feasible. But unfortunately, the development team established a relatively short (IMO) time of life of the batteries (also conditioned by their state).

> Suggestion: I hope not to say something stupid here because, honestly, my knowledge in game development is too poor to anticipate if this can be even a possibility. However, I hope you will excuse me if I do so. We all know that the BETA is not around the corner and that we have a few more months ahead with the 0.62. That being the case, I think we probably would loose anything with at least ask the devs if a battery life increase can be possible. Maybe consulting it through one of the representatives of this community (Renr, Spaggie) could give us the idea of whether this is at least possible or directly they would never spend any time on this (Taking into consideration they are working on the BETA). As I said, I do not know the implications of such a change, so on whether it is a question of modifying a parameter or represents a much deeper change.

kS1Rjx6.png

Thats all guys. Adios!!

• We all know that the BETA is not around the corner

True, however with beta comes mod support. We don't need to ask the devs, we just need someone who knows how to mod dayz to make a probably very simple mod that increases battery life. And request rene to ask spaggie to add it to the server

Killing is only one small aspect of survival. And hardly necessary. A person's desire to kill, is not out of thrive to survive. But rather a false sense of pride, a sick form of amusement, a disgusting form of empowerment. They who feel the need to kill and call it "survival" are just refusing to accept their barbaric ways. Self defence is another matter entirely, but how often is that self defence not against those who feel an unnatural need to harm?

• Yeah Gary The Metrosexual ... i agree and i hope so because i really think this game (like the Arma 2 mod) will be even more amazing when it belongs 100% to the community.

But, in the meantime (and again, without any real knowlage of game development, scripts and stuff like that), if it was only a matter of changing some number inside a code that determinates the lifetime of batteries, it would be great to have it as soon as posible. But i can´t really tell if its that simple (i doubt it).

• I'm a huge fan of using radios in-game for communication, and I love how much it's used here. I'm all for scheduled call outs ... it would make it much more interesting for new players joining the server as well .... I'm speaking from experience there, as when I started here, I grabbed the first radio I found, some batteries, and sat in a building just listening to the radio chatter to get a feel for the place. It was a really cool feeling!! ... so props to all you guys who continue to use them regularly!

I spent some time on another RP server ... and they had a group who would broadcast every hour, on the hour for a good 10 minutes. I'd turn on my radio just to listen in, and hear people talking about the state of of the game world :) .

I've always played alone, so it was my little bit of human contact ... that's a bit sad now I think about it!

• Using radios as a safe approach tool between two parties would also be nice. For example if there were two groups and they had 500 meters between them, tuning into default channel and communicating through walkie talkies would be a good way if both parties are hesitant to approach each other in fear of a bullet. I propose that 87,8 would be used in these situations to encourage interaction.

• I'm a big fan of the radio and any ideas to further its use within DayZ has my support 100%! I must admit, I use it for more for listening and collecting intel when I am alone, more than communicating and I suspect others are in the same boat.

As for "call outs", I think this should be offered to all factions as a part of their regular duties. Just a thought.