Thoughts on a mod to allow only the builder to destroy or dismantle structures.

• Ok just throwing this out there. After the recent base rape at the Berenzino church structure (sympathies Reverend) I was wondering about a mod to reduce this cheap form of acquiring base materials in particular nails which have higher value than Margot Robbies thong at a Margot stalker convention.

Destroying bases is far to easy and soul destroying for the honest server members who have invested a huge amount of real life time in their individual building projects.

Improved persistence has been a god send for avid builders and factions favouring a permanent base but the Spectre if base rape has disheartened more than one faction I'm sure and has diminished the fun for many village players.

What about bases that can only be dismantled by the builder? This may cause issues with the central loot economy but surely increased nail number caps might help.

Another idea is a vulnerability timer where bases can only be dismantled at times decided by the faction or builder but have a set time frame and frequency such as 3 hours for 3 times a week. Vulnerability times will be known to all on the server maybe by examining the base in question. This sets up great fire fights as defenders and attackers meet at the same time and allow for organised defensive actions. I know this moves slightly away from realism but might provide amazing content. As it stands one guy rocks up with a hatchet at 7am and destroys something in minutes that took your faction days of real life time to build.

I know mods affected server numbers recently but if a guide can help commited village server players and new folk alike then maybe big losses of server numbers could be reduced.

So what do you think? By all means add your own solutions to BASE RAPE in the comments below.

Just Jack CSF

• I dont think it would be a good idea to make it so that only the builder can dismantle, but there should be something to stop people from destroying bases that easily.

I agree. A change to stop simple base rape would be an absolute bonus to the server imho. Ideas are more than welcome. I favour the invulnerability timer idea but there must be other solutions out there. Base building will cease to exist if nothing changes. It will not be worth the effort and that would be a shame.

• I dont think it would be a good idea to make it so that only the builder can dismantle, but there should be something to stop people from destroying bases that easily.

Exactly, is not nice to start putting rules/tools to restrict the freedom of the players. My favorite thing of this server is that you are allowed to do whatever you want, and people still doing rpg and good things. I would prefer to don't change that.

• I fully agree that it is a bad joke having to spend hours acquiring tools and materials, struggling with game mechanics that have invisible collision boxes, can't build on flat ground, just to have someone come, destroy and raid/rape everything within minutes.

I also understand server numbers going down because of mods, but for a server which has factions and basebuilding as a core principle, you need to give the factions a fighting chance!

Build anywhere mod makes that happen. You can truly find a place and secure it properly, and you can't do that with the current game mechanics. Yes it can be abused, but people are abusing game mechanics as they are now anyway

I would spend 1hr to place a single wall at a place that the game doesn't like in order to stop people from coming in. They just walk on invisible ledge around it, jump over using barrels glitch, or destroy in 1 minute.

A single person can break into any base using 1 hacksaw in less than 15 minutes in and out. Even if there are 5 gates total. Wtf.

There are mods that make this better -

Disable base destroy option for all but sledgehammer -

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=1611450782

Or

Make it take longer -

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=1638036246

I personally like the second one. Trust me, you really have to prepare and plan if you want to raid a base with it (yes bases are not impenetrable) Along with build anywhere, you have a great starting point for a faction- based community to grow and flourish.

That's just me anyway

• We Guard feel your pain! While I think something should be done to help help preserve the time and effort spent making these momentous bases, I like uBaHoB idea of restricting the destruction of it to one tool. The threat of a base dismantling raid still needs to exist...even though it pains me :)

If I saw a sledge hammer on your back, you can expect to be tied up and interrogated...

• After the recent base rape at the Berenzino church structure (sympathies Reverend)

Thanks mate! It was a known risk when we announced the event publicly. But still hoped the church would have stayed up longer than that! I agree that it is too easy to demolish bases and it must be a great temptation because one can get plenty of nails easily. I think that those who demolished our walls and metal sheets, got like 700-900 nails. <X But yeah I hope the devs make up somekind of a nice solution, so people are not disheartened of building big bases.

• Me and my crew were at the Berezino Hospital for the last week. We had lots of fun encounters and provided medical help for people passing through. After we found almost all our walls destroyed yesterday we decided to abandon the whole thing and return to banditry.

Basebuilding in DayZ sadly is not very well thought through.

I like the mod where it takes a lot of time to dismantle.

Dr. Tarkov is now in hiding again.

• I sympathize with all that got their base raped, I won’t even start building as my game time is limited.

Breaking in, stealing shit, I’m down, but straight up breaking up all the work, there is no honour in that.

I must say, that I’m not a big fan of adding any mods, server been pretty stable to me lately.

They could add some time to breaking down structures, or increase the sound of breaking it down and the range it is heard, so it becomes a very dangerous thing to do.

• Thanks mate! It was a known risk when we announced the event publicly. But still hoped the church would have stayed up longer than that! I agree that it is too easy to demolish bases and it must be a great temptation because one can get plenty of nails easily. I think that those who demolished our walls and metal sheets, got like 700-900 nails. <X But yeah I hope the devs make up somekind of a nice solution, so people are not disheartened of building big bases.

Reading your message gave me an idea. When walls are deconstructed nails are ruined. That would definitely reduce the amount of base rape as nail acquisition is most likely the main reason people rape bases.

Just Jack CSF

• Reading your message gave me an idea. When walls are deconstructed nails are ruined. That would definitely reduce the amount of base rape as nail acquisition is most likely the main reason people rape bases.

Just Jack CSF

Ruining nails unless a crowbar is used is a good start; especially if the crowbar takes significantly longer than other means.
    Hacksaws should have a soft skill applied, whereby a novice user would ruin the hacksaw by cutting a single chain. Every successful cut could give the layer-life one extra success before ruin, up to a maximum of 5 chains per saw.

Also... Hi guys.

• A proper hospital at Berenzino. How cool was that. But due to the mechanics as they stand that excellent bit of immersive organic RP has died a death and such a shame. I feel your pain. It would be nice to have known locations that you can visit on your travels but as soon as a base/hospital/trade post/disco/temple become known they get raped and the idea dies. Even with 12 players in CSF we were unable to provide a round the clock presence at our main base and after having the base raped multiple times faction members become disheartened. We never really got the trade post going because as quick as we built it got raped constantly. Even with 12 members and after two months of effort we were unable to establish one simple trade post. Now fucking tell me nothing needs to change.

Just Jack CSF

• Disable base destruction is a risky mod bc eventually everyone will make bases that cannot be boosted into, then people will quit playing and there will be massive abandoned bases causing performance/loot table issues. I think just about everyone would be on board with longer destruction times though.

However for long time players of this server we all know the way shit head bandits come here to play, despawning/destroying everything.

Don’t get discouraged! Build small, build safe and build more than one location to guarantee somewhere to fall back on and good luck out there :D

• Yeah I agree, it should still be able to get robbed with Not that much problems, but it should be harder to destroy a whole base in 15 min or less. We can't probably fix the despawn shit, but yeah you can just loot new. But building a base cost time and work so personally I would like to atleast make the time longer that it takes to destroy a fence, not to long to stop people from trying to brake in, but long enough to encourage people to break the whole base.

• Helping a friend to teach him so hey's also builds that makes it hard to come in or demolish, but we hope for goodness, No one go and Destroy only that wat is precious too us, that would be griefing indeed.

• Disable base destruction is a risky mod bc eventually everyone will make bases that cannot be boosted into, then people will quit playing and there will be massive abandoned bases causing performance/loot table issues. I think just about everyone would be on board with longer destruction times though.

However for long time players of this server we all know the way shit head bandits come here to play, despawning/destroying everything.

Don’t get discouraged! Build small, build safe and build more than one location to guarantee somewhere to fall back on and good luck out there :D

Well that issue can be solved with a white list managed from this webpage, but I don't know how many players will be playing after that. Maybe it doesn't worth to do it.

• I find this a very complicated and interesting subject in every community, specially in this one.

I think this is hard to implement here, and it's not due to the recent decision of not using mods. But mainly because of the freedom and lack of rules that dictates the nature of the server.

That's the freedom that makes everything feel more random, and events like the berezino hospital, church, or the village itself have a more important role and meaning when it comes to bring players together to achieve something. Because there is no such thing as a rule protecting them or even making it easier.

Now, can we do something about it? Probably yes, but I would like to quote Andrei here, instead of repeating:

Exactly, is not nice to start putting rules/tools to restrict the freedom of the players. My favorite thing of this server is that you are allowed to do whatever you want, and people still doing rpg and good things. I would prefer to don't change that.

I'm gonna cross the street now, and share my toughts from the other side of this discussion. And I'm gonna talk about balance, because rules are set to bring balance, not realism.

I do share the tought that something needs to be done about base raiding mechanichs. I believe it should come from the devs, but we all know what that means.

Having a firefight to defend what's yours can be very exciting, as I'm sure everyone here has experienced. I have nothing against raiding, unless it happends while I'm not there. That takes all the fun out of it, for both of the parties.

If we fought for it and you won, I call it fairplay and I hope you can take as much as you can carry. But finding your place empty the next day leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

Sadly this is very common and leads to players abandoning their ideas, realizing they won't be able to enjoy or even have a chance to fight for the time spent on something. More or less ending like Dr. Tarkov here (Rest In Banditry).

I do believe something could be worked here troughout a rule, even if that would means to supress some liberties in order to gain some balance.

I don't know the solution, but Garmageddon vulnerability timer could be an idea to work arround. Another community has something similar, allowing base destruction only during rush hours at weekends. And this is done without mods.

I think it's a good mid-term solution untill the devs (or someone) improve raiding mechanichs. It gives base owners a good chance to be online and defend their place during a raid.

The biggest problem here are those morning raiders that wipe off entire bases while no one is in the server to fight back. And there is nothing we can do to prevent that from happening right now.

• I don't know the solution, but Garmageddon vulnerability timer could be an idea to work arround. Another community has something similar, allowing base destruction only during rush hours at weekends. And this is done without mods.

Without mods meaning with server rules? Because that's a problem too, I wouldn't like to see this server and webpage transformed into a complains forum like, other servers where people is all the time uploading tickets like "somebody killed me in that safe area", "somebody steal my car when I wasn't there". That feels really bad.

I think it's a good mid-term solution untill the devs (or someone) improve raiding mechanichs. It gives base owners a good chance to be online and defend their place during a raid.

The biggest problem here are those morning raiders that wipe off entire bases while no one is in the server to fight back. And there is nothing we can do to prevent that from happening right now.

but if you just make it somehow in the way that you have to be present (just somehow, I'm not talking about how to do it, only consecuences), that means I will be able to build a base, fill it with loot and don't come back in four months that everything will still be there. When we know loot is limited on the server.